CERTIFICATE OF SANCTIONED POST
The year 1836 was a milestone year when the Robertson College was founded in Sagur (M.P.) as an institution to nurture higher education in the province. Later on the college was shifted to various places at Jabalpur and finally the Robertson College came to an existence in the Civil Engineering Department of the Jabalpur Engineering College, near the bank of the beautiful lake at Gokalpur area of Jabalpur. Later on, the college was transferred to the present building in the year 1956 and bifurcated to the Arts and Science colleges, respectively.
The Govt. Science College is one of the prime institutions of India devoted to higher learning in almost all premier disciplines of science. The college has had a galaxy of distinguished legendries in the area of science, arts, culture and many more. Some of the notable personalities are famous actor Ashok Kumar, Acharya Rajneesh, Premnath, Pt. Ravi Shankar Shukla etc. The Noble Laurite Prof. C.V.Raman also visited to old Robertson college in the year 1938 and delivered a talk on Raman Effect for which he was conferred with the Noble Prize in Physics.
The college owes a prime rank in science education and research at both the national and international levels. The college has a tremendous volume of research activities and a lot of significant achievements are credited to its various departments. The college has highly dignified faculty members with distinguished profiles with great devotion making endless efforts to disseminate science education to students.
Early nineteenth century saw Jabalpur as a leading centre of education in Central India and later many colleges and educational institutions spread the light of knowledge to the entire area. One of them was Robertson College established in 1836 as Saugor Govt. School in Saugor, upgraded as Saugor Collegiate School in 1860; it was destined to become the renowned Robertson College of Jabalpur. The historic week long transfer in 1873 with bag-&-baggage on bullock-carts from Saugor to Jabalpur changed the entire history of education in this marble city.
Very soon, as had already the school attained the status of Govt. College. It carried on its journey marching ahead in various locations in Jabalpur. The present Govt. Engineering College’ Civil Department wing harboured Robertson College which in honor of the then commissioner Mr. Benjamin Robertson named after him. The alumni of the college still feel proud to call themselves Robertsonians.
Robertson College fulfilled the major aims of educational spiritual, intellectual, physical and cultural development of students. Science faculty of this college has the honor of Centurion of its existence, as it was started in the year of 1896. The present building accommodated this college in 1956. Robertson College, named Mahakoshal Mahavidyalaya after independence had to undergo the process of bifurcation in 1962 into Mahakoshal Arts and Commerce College, and Govt Model Science College. Robertson College first affiliated to Calcutta University, (from 1836 to 1890) then Allahabad University, (from 1891 to 1922); Nagpur University, (from 1923 to 1946); Sagar University, (from 1947 to 1956) and now affiliated to Rani Durgavati University, Jabalpur since 1957. Govt. Science College attained the status of Model Science College in 1985 and autonomy in the year of 1990.
The huge campus the College has a magnificent three storied building, having one hundred fifty rooms. In an area of one hundred acres, the college campus has three hostel buildings, Principal’s Bungalow, residential accommodation for staff members and supportive staff. Catering to need for physical development of students, the College has extensive playground for Hockey, Football, Cricket, Volleyball, Handball, Basketball and also a splendid Tennis Court within the campus, two indoor Badminton Courts, one of them being of international standard and a Gymnasium. A well nurtured Botanical Garden occupies the area. NCC and NSS units for both boys and girls impart training to the students and upholding the dignity of labour. The extension counter of the State Bank of India in the College campus facilitates bank transactions of the employees, students and all.
The sprawling campus, well-equipped laboratories, computers, televisions, conference room, multimedia facilitated seminar hall completes the picture of a well established educational institution and contribute to the college an image of a temple of the Goddess of Knowledge Sarswatiji where the worshippers achieve enlightenment. As the students use their hands and head to study science aesthetic sense is inculcated in them through the various extra- curricular activities as well. The institution promotes spiritual, intellectual, cultural and physical development of its students. Resultant self-confidence in the students makes them feel that nothing is impossible. The aim of an ideal educational institution is to provide the most able, the most efficient personalities in different sphere of activities for the country. The history of the college has been very rich and fruitful in fostering and grooming such outstanding personalities who have out-shown in the fields of administration, research, medical and as distinguished scientists in diverse fields.
This has been an illustrious institution and is continuously enduing as a better academic arena. The declaration of the institution as Centre of Excellence by the State Government has provided an impetus to perform better and all are geared up to outshine the previous performance.
- 1836 Established in the Year 1836 at Sagar.
- 1860 Collegiate School at Sagar started
- 1896 Degree Courses in Science started
- 1916 Named as Robertson College
- 1947 After Independence the college is named as Mahakoshal Mahavidhyalya. Post Graduate Studies started
- 1962 Bifurcated into ‘Govt. Science College’ and Mahakoshal Arts & Commerce College.
- 1985 Declared Model College by the Department of Higher Education, Government of M. P.
- 1990 Successfully working under autonomous scheme of the UGC.
- 1995 Vocational Course in Computer Maintenance, Computer Application introduced
- 2001 Vocational Course Biotechnology introduced
- 2002 Centre of Excellence in Science Education: MP Govt.
- 2002 Accredited “A” Grade by NAAC-Bangalore.
- 2004 College with Potential for Excellence by the UGC – New Delhi.
- 2011 Re Accredited “A” Grade by NAAC-Bangalore.
- 2011 Selected for prestigious FIST grant by the DST New Delhi.
- 2015 Received Heritage Status Grants from the UGC, New Delhi
- 1860 – 1890 Calcutta University
- 1891 – 1922 Allahabad University
- 1923 – 1946 Nagpur University
- 1947 – 1956 Saugor University (Dr. H. S. Gour University, Sagar)
- 1957 Present Jabalpur University (Rani Durgawati University, Jabalpur)
Milestones of history of the college
1836 – 60 Govt. high School, Sagar (Established. at Sagar in 1836)
1860 Affiliated to Calcutta university
1860 – 68 Mr. G. Wiggnis, Principal, Collegiate School, Sagar
1868 – 69 Mr. J. Kibble, Principal
1870 – 73 Mr. G. Thompson, Principal
1871 Hostel started at Collegiate school Sagar, Mr. Elijah Jacob was the first prefect.
1873 – 74 G. Thompson, Principal, Govt. College, Jabalpur
1885 Govt. Arts Degree College
1885 – 91 Mr. W. Young, Principal
1885 B.A. Degree course introduced (high school continued)
1891 – 93 Mr. J. Firth, Principal
1891 Affiliated to allahabad university
1891 Law & Engineering subject at Graduate level introduced
1893 Govt. Degree College, Arts. location shifted to Rajkumar College hostel building (lakh-khana) (present psm hostel)
1896 govt. degree college of arts and science
1896 – 97 sir henry sharp, principal
1897 – 98 colin h. browning, principal
1898 – 1902 sir henry sharp, principal
1902 – 04 colin h. browning, principal
1904 – 05 k. b. williamson, principal
1905 – 06 mr. knox, johnson, principal. science subjects confined to b.sc.
1906 – 07 mr. k. b. williamson, principal
1908 – 10 mr. r. m. spence, principal (founder of spence training college, p. s. m.)
1910 – 11 mr. arthur e. jones, principal
1911 – 16 mr. arthur c. sells, principal
1912 (aug) college magazine “narbada” editor prof. w.s. rowland, published for the first time.
1914 formation of literary society
1916 robertson college, jabalpur
1916 inauguration of new robertson college. college shifted from lakh-khana building to new building, situated at present engineering college, civil wing.
1917 formation of historical society
1916 – 26 mr. arthur c. sells, principal
1923 formation of philosophical society with prof. w. s. rowland as president and shri v. s. jha on 30/8/1923 as secretary
1923 affiliated to nagpur university
1925 sir p.c. ray delivered extension lectures on hindu and european chemistry
1926 sir c.v. raman delivered extension lectures on raman effect
1926 rai bahadur hiralal extension lecture on kalchuris of tripuri
1926-38 mr. w. s . rowlands, principal.
1928 post graduate classes started in hindi (first in old m. p.)
1930 dole memory trophy for science student.
1932 formation of hindi cultural society. president – dr. s. p. verma, secretary &ndash bhagwandas dubey.
1933 mr. m. b. niyogi, v. c. nagpur university, delivered extension lectures on “philosophy of life”.
1933 student union came into existence for the first time. sardar rajendra singh: president and mr. m. w. vaidya : secretary
1933 inauguration of students union by pandit madam mohan malviya.
1936 robertson college centenary celebration.
1938 – 39 m. m. ganguli (first indian principal of robertson college and founder of m. p. home guards.)
1939 mr. jwala prasad, principal
1939 p. g. started in english
1939 – 42 mr. hirde narayan, principal
1942 – 47 dr. s. c. dhar, principal
1945 p. g. started in applied mathematics
1946 bio group in b.sc. introduced
1947 affiliated to saugor university, sagar, m. p.
1947 rename mahakoshal mahavidyalaya after independence.
1947 – 55 dr. m. g. shabde, principal
1947 geology group in b.sc. introduced
1948 graduate in physics introduced
1950 post graduate in physics introduced
1952 post graduate in geology and zoology introduced
1955 post graduate in chemistry introduced
1956 – 58 dr. r. l. nirula, principal
1956 the college shifted in the present building, scl-pachpedi, jabalpur
1957 affiliated to jabalpur university.
1958 – 62 shri u. d. mukherjee, the first robertsonian to be principal of the college.
1962 govt. science college and mahakoshal arts and commerce college carved out of mahakoshal mahavidyalaya.
1962 – 66 shri g. r. inamdar, principal
1963 publication of the first college magazine “jyotirmayee”
1964 inauguration of social gathering by then hon. minister for industries dr. shankar dayal sharma.
1966 – 70 dr. s. n. kaveeshwar, principal
1970 – 73 shri k. s. rathore, second robertsonian to be the principal of the college
1972 military science group in b.sc. introduced
1973 -74 dr. m. c. rao, principal
1974 – 77 dr. m. g. nene, principal
1977 – 80 dr. k. c. jain, principal
1980 – 88 shri s. k. mishra, third robertsonian to be the principal.
1985 the college renamed govt. model science college.
1986 celebration of post centenary function. chief guest: shri motilal vora (chief minister m. p.) presided by shri chitrakant jaiswal (education minister m. p.)
1988 environmental science subject in post graduation introduced.
1988 – 90 dr. r. b. malviya, fourth robertsonian as principal.
1990 granted autonomous status by the ugc
1990 – 93 dr. r. n. tripathi, principal
1991 electronics, industrial chemistry and environmental science in b.sc. introduced
1992 national seminar on “swadeshi pran vigyan” dr. s.p. sharma convenor, dr. murli manohar joshi (national president b.j.p) chief guest, shri sunderlal patwa (chief minister m. p) president.
1993 – 94 dr. smt. vijaya chouhan, the first woman principal and first principal from humanities.
1994 – 96 dr. m. b. patel the fifth robertsonian as principal.
1995 – 96 computer application and computer maintenance introduced as vocational courses at b sc level
1996 – 97 dr. n. s. wadhera, principal
1997 dr. smt. s. tripathi ,sixth robertsonian as principal
1997 – 2000 dr. o. p. sharma, principal
1998 national seminar, golden jubilee celebration of geology department.
1999 microbiology and biochemistry subjects in u. g. level introduced
2000 – 04 dr. smt. shibani chatterjee, seventh robertsonian as principal.
2000 geohydrology subject at u. g. level introduced.
2000 national seminar on “gantatra evam rashtrawad” to celebrate golden jubilee of india republic.
2001 ‘biotechnology &lsquo subject as a vocational courses sanctioned by ugc new delhi and introduced at u. g. level
2002 centre of excellence in science education declared by the mp govt.
2002 accredited “a” grade by the naac, bangalore
2002 bachelor of computer application (bca) introduced
2004 college with potential for excellence : ugc – new delhi
2004 – 06 dr. sureshwar sharma (former vc rdvv), principal
2006 – 10 dr. (smt.) anupama ganguly, principal
2007 all the departments facilitated with broad band internet connections individually. inspection of the college by the c p e review committee, u g c new delhi.
2008 visit of autonomy review team of the ugc in june 2008
2009 organised national seminar on “quest for quality use of innovative practices”
2010 – 14 dr. smt. agnes thakur, principal
2011 re-accredited “a” grade by the naac, bangalore
2015 dr. m. k. mishra (joined on 27 july 2015), eighth robertsonian as principal received heritage status grants from the ugc, new delhi.
2016 dr. a.l.mahobia (joined on 25 may 2016)